[OSM-legal-talk] License Cut-over and critical mass

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Jul 25 00:29:37 BST 2010

Hi,

Heiko Jacobs wrote:
> A real ODBL-OSM can only be build with "home copies" of the data
> of the contributors who said yes. They cannot copy their own edits
> from CC-OSM, because this also will be a condensation of CC-OSM ...

I don't think so. Copyright is not based on the physical path that data
has traveled. For example, there's dual-licensed software where you can
either use it under GPL or pay for a commercial license. You don't have
to re-download the software when you switch from GPL to commercial - you
just pay the price and get a piece of paper that says you can now use
the software under another license. Often there won't even be a separate
download link.

It is perfectly sufficient if someone agrees to ODbL, we can then take
his data from our existing database.

Bye
Frederik