[OSM-legal-talk] License Cut-over and critical mass

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Wed Jul 28 20:35:48 BST 2010

On 07/23/2010 04:41 PM, Anthony wrote:
> I guess you're saying the lawyers who have advised the OSMF are not
> reasonable people?

The perpetual discussion over licenses is very tiring,
but I can put up with that. What I just can't tolerate
is this kind of argument that professional lawyers
have some absolute authority, that trumps every
contributor's opinion. I'm not saying that these
lawyers are wrong, but the argument that they are
correct because they are professionals is a stupid
kind of argument. It's like saying that professional
programmers wrote this software, so now we
can't ever modify it. Most people are involved in
free software and open content projects exactly
because they don't like being told such things.

If these lawyers told OSMF board to push totalitarian
authority as an argument towards contributors in an
open content project, then you should ask to get your
money back, because that would be useless advice.

--
   Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)