[OSM-legal-talk] Potential huge License violation - anyone know anything about this?

Erik Johansson erjohan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 23:31:11 BST 2010

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 10:58 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> Phil,
>
> Phil Monger wrote:
>> It's a new cycle book for London, with routes, etc. Pretty standard
>> fare. The problem? All the maps inside are blatant OSM copies (Mapnik, I
>> assume) with route overlays posted. Now this wouldn't be a problem,
>> obviously, except they are way WAY outside of CC-BY-SA.
>
> A general rule of thumb is, try not to get over-excited about these
> things. In most cases they really happen out of negligence.

I've dealt with three publishers here in Sweden[1] and they are all
extremely careful about the copyright material they print. Sure they
don't understand the CC-by-SA, but they called for legal advice on the
matter.  In one case the solution was to CC-by-SA the whole spread, so
I agree that it's not really necessary to release the whole.

/emj

[1] not osm related, mostly Wikipedia