[OSM-legal-talk] Potential huge License violation - anyone know anything about this?

Oliver (skobbler) osm.oliver.kuehn at gmx.de
Thu Jun 3 13:54:13 BST 2010

>"Dear Mr President, I've got this photo showing you in bed with another
>man, here's my bank account where you can make a donation, in which case
> will forget about it...
>
>... unless I need more money later in which case I might again remember"?
>
>Honestly, what you're suggesting smacks of blackmail.

It is a completely different story. The reason behind the action is stop
others from repeating the mistakes. If you just ignore every case without
consequences you fill in a blank cheque for the rest of world. You normally
see roughly 100 hundred post in a mailing list in case of a misuse but not
action towards the guys who were misbehaving. I think this is one of the big
weaknesses of OSM: it is very good at arguing in the group but not at taking
it to the outside world. There needs to be a process to educate the market.
It does not help anybody to show the frustrations in mailing list. And if
you have a better proposal for education then please come up with it.

>I am very skeptical of legal action. If someone really takes the piss
>then yes, perhaps, but it must never come to OSMF being a fundraising
>machine for lawyers. Legal action can very quickly cost more than
>everything else we do, and I would hate to be in a project whose main
>activity, according to the balance books, is paying lawyers to sue people.

If that is needed to prevent OSM from exploiting then - yes - there might be
fundraising machine for legal support. However, I have not intention to
artificially blow it up. I just want to create a situation where people are
aware that abusing OSM data leads to consequences so that is becomes a
trade-off like not buying a ticket for train.

Regards,
Oliver