[OSM-legal-talk] CC-BY-SA and derivate works

Alexrk alexrk2 at yahoo.de
Mon Jun 7 18:04:57 BST 2010

Hi, I've got a question about the current CC license: Let's say one would like
to create a tourist map from OSM data - eg like those AZ city plans
(http://www.a-zmaps.co.uk/?nid=354)

Am I right that such a tourist map could only be published under a CC-like
license again? In other words, if I do so and sell just one copy of that map,
any "Big Publishing & Co" could duplicate and sell the same on its own for
..hmm.. half the price?

So if that interpretation of CC-BY-SA is correct, practically no one would be
able to do really creative things with OSM if she or he would like to get a ROI
on that work?

Regards
Alex

--