[OSM-legal-talk] CC-BY-SA and derivate works

Manuel Reimer Manuel.Spam at nurfuerspam.de
Tue Jun 8 15:55:08 BST 2010

Alexrk wrote:
> Am I right that such a tourist map could only be published under a CC-like
> license again? In other words, if I do so and sell just one copy of that map,
> any "Big Publishing&  Co" could duplicate and sell the same on its own for
> ..hmm.. half the price?

Why not? As long as only the map itself is copied and not the huge
amount of background information, you'll have to print on a good tourist
map. Anything you add, which is not based on OSM data, is your work and
you decide on how to license it.

Why should someone be able to make thousands of dollars with work, he
didn't create on his own? If you want to have the full copyright on your
work, then you'll have to pay a license for a commercial map or fetch
all data on your own.

Yours

Manuel