[OSM-legal-talk] ODbL Use Case: comparing OSM and proprietary data

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Jun 15 10:24:12 BST 2010

Hi,

    assume I have a Navteq data set and want to compare it with OSM, in
the form of a map image (or tiled OpenLayers Map) where areas are
coloured red (=Navteq has more roads) or green (=OSM has more roads).

Assume that my algorithm is like this:

1. divide world up in z18 tiles
2. create a data set derived from OSM with number of road kilometres in
each tile
3. create a data set derived from Navteq with same
4. create a data set derived from 2. and 3. which has a "shade of
red/green" value for each z18 tile
5. create produced works from d.

Then the only thing I have to release under ODbL is 4., a database that
assigns a shade of red/green to every z18 tile. I do not have to release
my Navteq source data, and not even my number-of-road-kilometres-count
for either Navteq or OSM.

Is that your understanding as well?