[OSM-legal-talk] Using osm data + private data

Oliver (skobbler) osm.oliver.kuehn at gmx.de
Tue Jun 22 14:57:45 BST 2010

>But I don't plan to license it, because i know that it will never go
outside, the only people who can see >my  data is my client.
>Of course we would like to merge openstreetmap nodes and IDs with ours, and
use mapnik to render both >of them at the same time.

The easiest way is if you create a transparent bitmap file for the
industrial site that you just put on top of the OSM to avoid the problem -
especially under the current CC-BY-SA-license.

The ODbL license says "Limits of Share Alike. The requirements of Section
4.4 do not apply in the following: Use of a Derivative Database internally
within an organisation is not to the public and therefore does not fall
under the requirements of Section 4.4."

However, you will not use the database "internally in your organisation" but
"license" respectively "convey" it to your client. I am not sure how
"internally" is interpreted in this case. I am also not sure if you license
it to one client if that is considered as licensing it to "the public".

>we can give money if it is a problem,

Money won't help in this case as in the community project nobody can help to
bypass the terms of use.