[OSM-legal-talk] Share-A-Like (non-) Verifiability because they are not publicly accessable

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Jun 24 09:31:59 BST 2010

Hi,

Oliver (skobbler) wrote:
>> He shouldn't draw then into the database, as this mixes OSM data and his
>> own data. Why not just use a layer on top of the OSM data?
>
> One of the big advantages of OSM is that you the "drawing tools". An option
> would be to create a blank database on top of the OSM data by using the OSM
> tools.

I think that OSM as a whole - and this is not a legal issue - needs to
improve interoperability. What we're currently seeing is "import mania",
poeple trying to stuff every possible bit of information into OSM
because that's the easiest way for them to use it in conjunction with
OSM data. There is too much geodata in the world for this to be
sustainable - OSM must stick to things that mappers map.

I hope that it will become gradually easier to mix'n'match OSM with
other data at the rendering stage so that people will not feel compelled
to upload any rubbish to OSM just becasue they want to render it on a map.

That will then also make it easier for those who wish to create produced
works from several databases, one of them being OSM, without tainting
their private data in the process.

Bye
Frederik