[OSM-legal-talk] Share-A-Like (non-) Verifiability because they are not publicly accessable

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at latuviitta.fi
Thu Jun 24 12:19:20 BST 2010

Frederik Ramm <frederik at ...> writes:

> I think that OSM as a whole - and this is not a legal issue - needs to
> improve interoperability. What we're currently seeing is "import mania",
> poeple trying to stuff every possible bit of information into OSM
> because that's the easiest way for them to use it in conjunction with
> OSM data. There is too much geodata in the world for this to be
> sustainable - OSM must stick to things that mappers map.

I agree. An EU-driven example about interoperability can be seen at
http://www.paikkatietoikkuna.fi/web/en/map-window

It is a pilot implemantation about what Inspire directive calls view services.
Some rought OSM data from Geofabrik shapefiles are also included, on layers
Transport networks - OpenStreetMap and Buildings - OpenStreetMap buildings. OSM
data has a scale limit, zoom in enough and data appears but there are not many
buildings outside the Helsinki district. GetFeatureInfo - the "i" tool works on
these layers. Interoperability does not need to mean that everything that exists
needs must be imported into OSM.