[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-talk] OSM <3 GeoNames <=> GeoNames <3 OSM =)

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Fri Mar 5 21:30:13 GMT 2010

On 05/03/10 20:16, Liz wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Mar 2010, elf Pavlik wrote:
>
>> Hello Everyone!
>>
>> I just asked on GeoNames mailing list why they don't use OSM for their
>> map functionality.
>> http://groups.google.com/group/geonames/t/ec02877f850cf6c7
>>
>> A person named Marc responded that OSM share-alike license is too
>> restrictive. Please check link above for his explanation.

I think that past discussion indicates that the OSM community in general
regard interface-layer-over-OSM-date-style-mash-ups as a reasonable use
of OSM data. I don't think this is right (from the point of view of
copyright or from the point of view of user freedom) but you'll find
plenty of support for this position on the mailing lists.

Point extraction *shouldn't* create a derivative in a sane universe. So
IMO OSM shouldn't claim points generated using OSM data as a derivative.
But I forget the current state of play in that debate. 8-/

- Rob.