[OSM-legal-talk] ODbL: Produced Works other than maps

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Mar 27 19:28:08 GMT 2010

Hi,

Arne Johannessen wrote:
> Note that just rendering the OSM database in PNG format doesn't
> necessarily create a Produced Work.

We have to be careful about the definition of "database" here. According
to the legal definition of "database" which has been quoted here often
enough, any PNG file made from OSM data would qualify as a database,
which would render the whole concept of a "Produced Work" totally
useless for OSM.

Thus we have agreed that we are willing to consider a PNG file to be a
Produced Work unless - and I don't find the specific wording on the Wiki
right now but I think there was something like this - someone creates
the file specially with the purpose of transporting the database through
it.

In that light, I fail to see the difference between a PNG image that
represents a list of bakeries in London (which you and Andy would say
clearly is a derived database or a substantial excerpt) and a PNG image
with a map of London and little bread symbols where there's a bakery
(which we do not want to be a derived database nor a substantial
excerpt, or else the whole ODbL Produced Works idea would fall over and
be useless - for example we could not mix our map with data licensed
under another license).

Bye
Frederik