[OSM-legal-talk] New OSM contributor licensing under ODbL and CC-BY-SA started today

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Fri May 21 18:23:08 BST 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 1:03 PM, Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com> wrote:
> Mike Collinson <mike at ...> writes:
>
>>- When enough contributors have agreed, we cut over to licensing the current
>>database under ODbL, (And a static snapshot of the database is also made forever
>>under CC-BY-SA).  If for some reason this event never happens, the fail safe is
>>that licensing of all contributions under CC-BY-SA simply continues.
>
> Surely this is two separate steps:
>
> - begin offering a licence to the whole database under ODbL,
> - stop offering a licence under CC-BY-SA.
>
> They might happen at the same time but they don't have to.

I expect that the last ccbysa database will continue to be available
as a planet file, just as older ccbysa planet files are available now.
 I suspect that proceeding with two active databases would be
impractical, just as we don't support active editing on the 2006-01-01
planet file version of the database.