[OSM-legal-talk] License Use Case

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 21:08:26 GMT 2010

Hi,

On 7 November 2010 21:51, Xavier Loiseau <xavier.loiseau at ijoinery.com> wrote:
> Let us suppose (as you mentioned) that the web server contains an OSM derived database
> associating each picture identifier with the latitude & longitude where the picture has been taken.
>
> Moreover, let us suppose that a user wants to keep private an address (and the latitude & longitude of the address) he provides:
> - The user can still upload a picture through the web site to the web server, providing the address where the picture has been taken,
> - But the user can also indicate through the web site that the address (and the latitude & longitude of the address) must not be published.
>
> As a consequence, such users might not want the OSM derived database (described above) to be published.
>
> Is there any solution to protect the privacy of such users while complying with the ODbL license ?

I think the privacy remains protected in various ways: first if you
just publish the addresses but not user names, then nothing about the
user is being revealed.  Secondly I think Frederik is right that you
can just publish the "mappings": 1. from address to lat/lon, and 2.
from address to picture IDs, because this is the only actually
OSM-derived content.  Additionally, such a "mapping" doesn't have to
be published as an actual list of addresses and IDs, but instead can
be a piece of code for example.  So if, for example, your entire
application is opensource and the date of the OSM snapshot used is
also public, then anyone can already reproduce the process.

Cheers