[OSM-legal-talk] ODBL Coverage

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Tue Nov 16 12:39:51 GMT 2010

On 16/11/10 12:29, Craig Loftus wrote:

> I don't really want to raise the issue again but I found the new map
> of ODBL coverage (http://osm.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/map/)
> interesting as it literally highlights the effect the new license and
> terms will have on map coverage in the UK.

No it doesn't.

It highlights what might happen if we went ahead now without approaching
anybody and asking them to relicense.

It says absolutely nothing about what the map might look like after we
have approached contributors and asked them to relicense.

Tom

> The town I currently map in, Oxford, would be wiped off the ODBL map,
> with the exception of a few minor roads. Interestingly, looking at
> those minor roads, they are only there because a user as incorrectly
> accepted the new contributor terms (they have made use of OS
> material). Does any one have an objective update on how the OS issue
> stands with regard to the new CTs?

Now you're assuming that the CTs are not compatible with OpenData, a
question which has yet to be resolved - some people believe that they
are compatible.

Now please, take the legal debates back to legal-talk and stop trying to
move them around.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)