[OSM-legal-talk] [DRAFT] Contributor Terms 1.2

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Thu Nov 18 10:09:28 GMT 2010

Anthony <osm at ...> writes:

>The intent seems clear.  1) You grant a license to do anything.  You
>waive all your rights in all your contributions (but obviously not
>anyone else's).

That is the key point.  I had understood that you grant an unlimited,
perpetual licence to do anything - and that you could only do this if you
had the rights to do so; in other words you could not possibly agree to the
terms if you didn't have full ownership of what you were contributing.

But if what is meant is that you grant an unlimited licence as far as your
own rights are concerned - but you don't make any representation about other
rights that might apply to your contribution - then this must be made clear.

I would suggest that there be two sections, (1) Your own rights in the
contribution, and (2) Rights held by third parties.

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>