[OSM-legal-talk] Nearmap vs CTs: any progress?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 22:27:19 GMT 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 5:40 AM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> Other People hold rights in Their Contents, not in Your Contents.  The

At least in the case of Nearmap, they hold rights in Your Contents too:

"You will own all Derived Works that you create. However, you may only
distribute Derived Works to others on the terms of a Creative Commons
Attribution Share Alike (CC-BY-SA) licence..."

Maybe "rights" isn't the right word, but they impose conditions on
what you can do with Your Contents.

> There are multiple copyrights on a derivative work.  Each author's
> copyright extends only to his original material, and not to the
> material contributed by others.

Yeah, but copyright and licensing are two quite separate issues.

> I agree that if it's not crystal clear to you, that this situation
> should be fixed.  But it is crystal clear to me, so I'm not really
> sure how to fix it.

It's quite clear what the CTs say to me, and it's wrong. :)

Steve