[OSM-legal-talk] openstreetmap in some flash advertising

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 13:43:42 GMT 2010

Hi,

On 22 November 2010 13:43, Johnny Rose Carlsen <osm at wenix.dk> wrote:
> Rob Myers <rob at robmyers.org> wrote:
>> On 11/21/2010 08:53 PM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>> >
>> > Legally they might have to attribute OSM but I'm really thankful
>> > they don't, because what they have to sell is some shady software
>> > that claims to be able to "locate" people when in reality it's just
>> > an x-ray pornocam style rip-off and I would't want to see OSM
>> > mentioned in that context.
>>
>> BY-SA does allow you to request the removal of attribution from
>> derivative works (BY-SA 2.0 Generic 4.a). This might be useful in
>> future to preventing OSM becoming associated with any other outbreaks
>> of pornocamvertising.
>
> How does that work? Does is require all contributors to agree on it?,
> or is there another way?

Probably, but CC-By-SA, the current license, is probably way too vague
to help decide who can request the removal.  For example if you wanted
to be pedantic in attributing the authors, users would need to
attribute every single author but instead the practice is to attribute
"OSM and contributors" collectively.  So it wouldn't make sense for
any subset of contributors to request to not be attributed because
they aren't.  OSMF isn't attributed either, and OSMF is not the
copyright owner under the current license (at least not the owner of a
huge amount of edits) although it is the owner of the trademark, so
maybe there's something they can do.

Cheers