[OSM-legal-talk] [DRAFT] Contributor Terms 1.2

SimonPoole simon at poole.ch
Mon Nov 22 21:18:32 GMT 2010

Sorry folks, but you are really kidding yourselves if you think (1) a and b
are at all workable.

On the one hand you are requiring "Joe Wellintendening Mapper" to determine
if two licenses (typically in a foreign tongue and at least one of them
rather complex) are legally compatible. This hasn't worked in the past and
will not work in the future. On the other hand you are giving "I just want
to be on top of the list and will import anything I can" a really easy cop
out. This is not better than the waffling around prior to the CT 1.0.

While I would prefer the details of imports and derived data to be moved out
of the CTs, I could live with:

- permission granted to the Contributor to import data from 3rd party
sources that have been registered with the OSMF and have licenses that have
been found to be compatible with the CTs and ODBL/DCL. The contributor gains
no rights or title to the data entered by the import.

- permission granted to the Contributor to derive data from 3rd party
sources that have been registered with the OSMF and have licenses have been
found to be compatible with the CTs and ODBL/DCL. Any rights the Contributor
may have gained by deriving the data are licensed to the OSMF as in (2).

- all data entered under above terms will have proscribed "source" tagging
(actually I would prefer separate user accounts).

Simon