[OSM-legal-talk] Database and its contents

Francis Davey fjmd1a at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 14:39:13 GMT 2010

On 23 November 2010 12:46, Emilie Laffray <emilie.laffray at gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> If I remember correctly, UK have recently excluded databases from copyright
> protection since 1997 due to the introduction of the European database law (
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/UK_Database_Law for more information).

Not quite. A database may attract either database right, copyright or
both. The change to database copyright (as opposed to database right)
is that copyright in a database has a harmonised subsistence threshold
across Europe ("own intellectual creation").

Whether something is, or is not, a database for either purpose is a
relatively straightforward question and is without prejudice to
whether or not it might be derivable (or derived from) some other kind
of work.

--
Francis Davey