[OSM-legal-talk] CT, section 3

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Nov 26 13:18:03 GMT 2010

Hi,

On 11/26/10 13:13, Olaf Schmidt-Wischhöfer wrote:
> I am sure that each part of the thought experiment is allowed under the
> current CT rules. Or do you see something that violates the CT?

Your thought experiment was built on OSMF *changing* the CT.

Now changing the CT doesn't violate the CT, but of course your agreement
is to the old, not the new CT. So if they want to change it and continue
using your data, they will have to ask you.

Your thought experiemnt was invalid because you assumed that they could
change the CT and continue using your data.

> "A free and open license" includes Public Domain, which is just a small step
> away from proprietary.

Under the CT, OSMF will never be allowed to change to a proprietary
license, *even if* 2/3 of contributors agreed.

> And under the current CT rules I am not guaranteed to
> be allowed to even participate in the vote.

You are guaranteed a vote if you are an active mapper.

I do not think that you have a moral right to continue determining the
course of the project after you have left. Remain active and have a say
- or leave the project, but then also leave it alone.

> 4. Force all contributors to accept CT terms that allow a license change to PD
> without out-out clauses. Some people in group "c" will leave OpenStreetMap.
> Those that remain might be too few to stop a PD license change when a vote
> comes up and will then leave at a later point.

This is pure speculation. I think that very people will be so
short-sighted that this is an issue for them. I mean, you can be for or
against anything right now, but if you are not blinded by ideology of
any sort then you will have to accept that times change, and that
*anything* you try to enshrine for eternity will hurt the project.

> Both choice "2" and choice "4" make it very likely that all people in group
> "c" will leave OpenStreetMap in the long view, which greatly damages the
> project.

Speculation.

> Choice "3" might be a good compromise.

No, choice 3 will create the exact same problems we have now around any
future license change. With the CT as they are, if anyone ever wanted to
change the license, the process is clear and easy: Convince OSMF to
initiate the process; hold a vote among active mappers; if 2/3 agree,
the license is changed, if not, it's not. End of story. What you request
here, giving the individual a way to opt out of a license change with
whatever is considered "his" data, would mean that we would again have
to deal with data loss; with the question of who owns what; we would see
people in favour of the license change voting with "no" because they
fear the data loss; we would see FUD & agitation on all sides. Not good.

> I do not know, however, whether people in group "b" are interested in a
> compromise or whether a fork of OpenStreetMap is seen as inevitable anyway.

This is not about people in groups, about ideology, about a fork, or
about who owns what.

What we do is a huge, collective work. As part of your commitment to
this project, you have to accept that you cannot always have it your
way; and that you will occasionally have to follow what a large majority
wants. Either you take part in the project or you don't.

You say you want to be "asked".

I think it is simply an illusion to believe that you could take part in
this but have a veto. If the technical team decides to switch to Oracle
you won't have a veto. If the majority of mappers decide they want to
change everything from "highway=" to "road=" you won't have a veto. If
they decide to rename the project "Whuzzit" instead of "OpenStreetMap"
you won't have a veto. In all these case you will not only not have a
veto, you will not have a legal basis to disallow that the project
continues to use what you have once contributed.

You say you want to retain "control".

It is not normal for the individual in this project to have any kind of
control. We have had cases where somebody contributed data and later
changed his mind, leaving the project and removing his data. The data
was then promptly re-instated by others. Is that what you would call
"having control"?

If you participate in OSM, you are adding water to an ocean. It does not
make sense to want to hold on to "your" bit of water. If this is
important to you, then I think you should think twice about
participating in a project like this.

My view is this: You should look at the project today. Look at its
community, its dynamics, everything. And then decide if you want to be a
part of it. And "it" may well include the millions of mappers who join
after you and who might turn the project into a direction that neither
of us can now foresee - that's the nature of a collaborative effort. You
can engage in the project, try to shape it and give it direction through
various means. Any data you contribute becomes part of the project -
just as everything else. You write a posting on the mailing list, you
influence the opinion of other people, you go to a mapping party and
explain the project to a stranger - all this is not something where you
can, three years hence, say "I'm leaving and by the way I am
retroactively removing all impact I had on the project". I think it
should be the same for map data you contribute.

Bye
Frederik