[OSM-legal-talk] CT, section 3

Robert Kaiser kairo at kairo.at
Fri Nov 26 15:47:14 GMT 2010

Olaf Schmidt-Wischhöfer schrieb:
> There seems to be a substantial number of OSMF members who consider all data
> created by individuals to be community-owned, even going so far as to accuse
> people who refuse to accept the CT as "holding our data hostage". This mindset
> gives me a feeling that OSMF and the OpenStreetMap community ignore the many
> hours that I spent for creating OpenStreetMap content. I contributed to
> OpenStreetMap because it is licensed under the CC-BY-SA. I would never have
> contributed under a license that says: "All your work is now ours. You give up
> all control. Bugger off if you disagree."

You can't reasonably have people "keeping control" of their
contributions to 100% at all time, because contributions from all of us
are so heavily entangled that it's nearly (if not completely) impossible
to separate them again and determine what's "owned" by whom, esp. as we
routinely modify database objects created and modified by "random" other
contributors.
I can't see how it would work in practice to "keep control" over
individual contributions.

IMHO, one reasonable way out would be the pain of creating yet another
license, use that in an "and later" fashion and have the OSMF in control
of publishing later versions of the license. That would enable the
"Wikipedia loophole" to license change, and exactly that is what we seem
to want. I wonder if we could even go as far as to have CC put a stance
into a new CC-BY-SA version that says "databases that wrong have
CC-BY-SA applied can be changed at will to ODbL or an equivalent
license." :P

Robert Kaiser