[OSM-legal-talk] OS Opendata & the new license

Markus_g markus_g at bigpond.com
Fri Oct 1 10:35:29 BST 2010

What was the original vote deciding? What version of ODbl or ODbl + CT or
ODbl + CT (current version)?

I assume I needed to be a member of OSMF to have been included in the vote.
I noticed there are 265 members. The vote was 89% yes from 55% of members.

Here is a copy of the human-readable summery that the vote appears to be on.

This is a human-readable summary of the ODbL 1.0 license. Please see the
disclaimer below.
You are free:

    * To Share: To copy, distribute and use the database.
    * To Create: To produce works from the database.
    * To Adapt: To modify, transform and build upon the database.

As long as you:

    * Attribute: You must attribute any public use of the database, or works
produced from the database, in the manner specified in the ODbL. For any use
or redistribution of the database, or works produced from it, you must make
clear to others the license of the database and keep intact any notices on
the original database.
    * Share-Alike: If you publicly use any adapted version of this database,
or works produced from an adapted database, you must also offer that adapted
database under the ODbL.
    * Keep open: If you redistribute the database, or an adapted version of
it, then you may use technological measures that restrict the work (such as
DRM) as long as you also redistribute a version without such measures.

Disclaimer

This is not a license. It is simply a handy reference for understanding the
ODbL 1.0 - it is a human-readable expression of some of its key terms. This
document has no legal value, and its contents do not appear in the actual
license. Read the full ODbL 1.0 license text for the exact terms that apply.

Shouldn't there be another vote if any conditions have changed since the
first vote?

I would have thought this would be mandatory.

markus