[OSM-legal-talk] OS Opendata & the new license

TimSC mappinglists at sheerman-chase.org.uk
Fri Oct 1 11:35:41 BST 2010

On 01/10/10 11:01, Rob Myers wrote:
> On 10/01/2010 10:38 AM, Elizabeth Dodd wrote:
>> I ask once more
>>
>> "from where did OSMF get a mandate to change the licence?"
>
> The vote.
That is effectively an admission that you don't have a mandate from the
contributors because the vote was only of OSMF members, not of the OSM
project generally.

> Any representational or governing body will be a "small set of
> persons". Depending on which sense of "representative" you are using,
> the vote rings true given my experience of OSM debates around
> licencing and OSMF is as open and responsible or more so than other
> Free projects.
The OSMF may support the community, but it doesn't represent the
community. For them to be representative, there would have to be some
direct accountability to mapping contributors and I don't see any
mechanism in place for that.

> Anyone can join OSMF.
How is that relevant to OSMF having a mandate?

TimSC