[OSM-legal-talk] Legal or not? user srpskicrv and source = TOPO 25 VGI BEOGRAD

edodd at billiau.net edodd at billiau.net
Sat Oct 2 23:29:07 BST 2010

>>those maps (the datas on them) are FREE (as long as you dont use it on
>>Serbian terretory).
>
> This is pretty clear, then: OSM also needs to be usable on Serbian
> territory,
> so it can't use the maps.

I think that the argument is not that.
The argument is really
'Is the Serbian government the legal successor of the Yugoslav government
in Serbian territories?'
Would an international court give the rights to the Serbian government?
I think that there is a possibility either way - that the copyright could
have expired with the dissolution of the Yugoslav government - or - that
on Serbian territory the rights to Yugoslav government went to Serbia.

The Serbian government thinks the second.