[OSM-legal-talk] Nike Deja Vu

Julio Costa Zambelli julio.costa at openstreetmap.cl
Sun Oct 3 19:36:54 BST 2010

Last night a friend contacted me to told me that the guys from Nike
Chile were using OpenStreetMap for the map of their weekend event
"Cruce de Chile", a 300Km Relay race from the top of the Andes in
Portillo to Valparaiso in the Pacific Coast.

At first when I checked the link [1] I was kind of exited of seing our
map used for such and event, but quickly realized that the site did
not belong to Nike but to Terra (an ISP and news provider subsidiary
from Telefonica España like O2) and that the official Nike website for
the event [2] was using a regular map.

Anyway what worried me after a few seconds of checking the website,
was that the owners were actually violating the CCBYSA License, since
they did not give any attribution to OpenStreetMap (not even one
mention, besides the browser loading bar getting the tiles from the
OSMF Servers). So besides my controvertial subject for this message it
is not a second violation of the license by Nike [3], but a violation
from another company in a Nike related event.

What do you think about this?

Regards,

Julio Costa
OpenStreetMap Chile