[OSM-legal-talk] Fair use?

Prado, Renato (R.P.) rprado at visteon.com
Fri Oct 8 17:55:39 BST 2010

> Hello!
>
> Are you planning to just overlay your data over the background map as
> a separate and independent layer? If yes, then this would qualify as a
> collective work under CC and you just need to attribute OSM in the
> suggested way.
Thanks a lot for your help.

The idea is to leave the OSM maps intact serving as the background of my
data cloud (which would be an unrelated database, locally stored,
containing data and lat/lon coordinates), both during online viewing and
in printed reports, with text properly stating that the maps are by OSM,
licensed XYZ. My potential customers would pay for those reports.

One image is worth a thousand words:
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwFnmupPSmD2eqpE0dN0S9WlG0s-FzF
rbr4gQzMYlkuvkwILk&t=1&usg=__9kS2vS-zZAo9ndGB4HU-H8foRaw=

As per my understanding, this should qualify as a collective work since
I would not be changing any of the maps and would properly acknowledge
the OSM in both online and printed forms, but I would like to be sure
prior to investing in this project.