[OSM-legal-talk] Legal or not? user srpskicrv and source = TOPO 25 VGI BEOGRAD

Ulf Möller osm at ulfm.de
Sun Oct 10 09:51:31 BST 2010

Am 02.10.2010 14:36, schrieb Valent Turkovic:

> Here is his answer:

> Those countries have their own geogrphical or geodesist institutes. So:
> the VGI is selling those OLD prints and they have still an copyright on
> reproduction of those papers, BUT NOT THE CONTAINED DATA !!!

The fact that the new countries have institutes that create their own
maps has nothing to do with the copyright on existing VGI map data. (Map
making is not exclusively a government task, as anyone working on OSM
should know.)

There are only two possibilites: Either VGI still owns the rights to the
maps they created, or the rights were transferred to the new countries.
In either case, you cannot use the data without permission.

> I agree that it is a grey zone, but who will say that its illegal?

OSM doesn't accept data from grey zones