[OSM-legal-talk] License Question

Kevin Sharpe kevin.sharpe at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 19 15:55:56 BST 2010

I posted these questions to the Forum and it was suggested that I try here;

We wish to add to OSM data relating to electric vehicle charge point
locations and capabilities. However, it is not clear to me whether a third
party could extract and use the charge point data without restriction.

I have read the Wiki regarding the CC-BY-SA and proposed ODbl license and
received independent advice that we should ignore these and use a PDDL
license for the data that we submit to OSM;

 <http://www.opendatacommons.org/licenses/pddl/1-0/>
http://www.opendatacommons.org/licenses/pddl/1-0/

This raises some questions;

Can the data we enter into OSM be used by third parties without restriction
under the current or proposed OSM license?

Can we enforce PDDL for the data that we enter into OSM? If we do, what
happens if a third party extracts some additional data entered into OSM
under a license other than PDDL?

All the best,

Kevin