[OSM-legal-talk] How to deal with CC 2.0 data imports? Proposal Dual licensing of data under odbl-1.0

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 19:28:05 BST 2010

JohnSmitty wrote:

> That may not be enough, as they would have to agree to allow OSM to
> relicense it in future, not just agree to ODBL:

There appear to be some interesting thoughts about this in the most recent
LWG meeting minutes ( https://docs.google.com/View?id=dd9g3qjp_89cczk73gk )
in the Contributor Terms Revision section:

e.g.

"If you want to import data copyrighted by others or where they are exerting
a copyright over data that you have derived by a method such as tracing, the
copyright should be compatible with ODbL 1.0.  You do not need to guarantee
that the copyright will be compatible with future licenses as may be adopted
under clause  4 below, but you should be aware that it may then be necessary
to delete such Content."

This might address some of the worries of having to delete imported
compatible datasets immediately.

But I guess we will have to see what happens with this revision first to
understand its consequences and if they are changes or simply
clarifications.

Kai