[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-talk] Community vs. Licensing

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Wed Sep 1 12:21:42 BST 2010

On 09/01/2010 10:14 AM, John Smith wrote:
> On 1 September 2010 19:07, Rob Myers<rob at robmyers.org>  wrote:
>> If you don't want the effects of a PD OSM for geodata, ODbL is a better way
>> of ensuring this than BY-SA
>
> "The devil you know is better than the devil you don't"

"The devil is in the details."

> At this stage I have every reason to believe the CT and now possible
> the ODBL is a really bad deal and neither should be accepted as being
> honest, moral or for the benefit of the project.

You may believe that the CTs and ODbL are flawed. People have made
suggestions for improvements to the CTs here, and I've seen suggestions
for improvements to the ODbL elsewhere that I happen to agree with.

You may believe they are morally wrong. I don't, although I understand
people's concerns about the responsibility they place on OSMF.

But going from these reasonable objections to accusing the actions of
the part of the community that you don't agree with of being dishonest,
immoral and detrimental is too much of a rhetorical leap.

>> That's a serious allegation and one not borne out by the facts.
>
> If you believe that then you haven't been paying attention very much.

*Despite* paying attention I haven't seen anything that substantiates
your claim of "dirty tricks" on the part of the people you don't agree with.

- Rob.