[OSM-legal-talk] Noise vs unanswered questions

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Thu Sep 2 12:39:11 BST 2010

On 09/02/2010 11:24 AM, TimSC wrote:

> 1) How is the future direction of OSM determined? Community consensus?
> OSMF committees with OSMF votes? Something else?

Consensus decision making doesn't mean a 100% plebiscite vote or
minority veto power. It means an honest attempt to converge on a
compromise. Given this, the ODbL does represent community consensus. It
represents a compromise between many different ideological positions
present in the community around the norms that have emerged in
discussion over the years.

If it's not your personal dream licence for OSM, welcome to the club.
But, as I say, consensus means compromise.

And not just from everyone else.

- Rob.