[OSM-legal-talk] Noise vs unanswered questions

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Thu Sep 2 16:40:17 BST 2010

On 09/02/2010 04:16 PM, Maarten Deen wrote:
> There was some
> discussion on how the group wanting to move should be measured, by
> number of people, by number of edits/contributions possibly only
> measured over a certain period, but AFAIK no consensus has been reached
> there.

The idea is that people will "vote with their feet" by agreeing or not
to the new terms. However many votes OSM has or does not have, that is
the only measure that will count in the end.

> If that is consensus to you... Let's put it this way: if that is
> consensus to the people wanting the move and the people in charge of the
> license that governs OSM, then I guess the license move is imminent and
> undebatable.

Relicencing is the result of a public process that was started some
years ago. The move should be imminent (some people are complaining it
is taking too long) but it is not a foregone conclusion (nobody can be
*forced* to relicence) and constructive questions about the CTs and the
process are being taken on board as far as I can tell.

- Rob.