[OSM-legal-talk] Garmin Maps / Produced Works

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Sep 4 18:13:06 BST 2010

Hi,

80n wrote:
> Ironically, for most people it is much easier to reverse engineer a .png
> than it would be to inport a dataset.

It really depends on the situation. OSM has no concept of precision, so
if I give you a list of 100 POIs on a 1024x2048 map of England, you
simply wouldn't be able to place them in OSM because they would be
hundreds of meters off.

> Firstly, the publisher can distribute
> it in any arbitrary format, removing IDs, modifying tags, etc.  There is
> no incentive for the publisher to make it easy to use.

It must still be the database from which he has produced his produced
works. Granted, there is potential for obfuscation here, but if what it
published is sufficiently interesting, the community is going to take
note ("oh look, this guy wants to make it hard for us to use the data...
let's see what we can do").

> Thirdly, the publisher can simply refuse to agree to the contributor terms.

Indeed; the publisher could even be completely oblivious of them.

Bye
Frederik