[OSM-legal-talk] Garmin Maps / Produced Works

James Livingston lists at sunsetutopia.com
Tue Sep 7 12:36:39 BST 2010

On 04/09/2010, at 10:30 PM, Rob Myers wrote:
> If it absolutely has to be one thing or the other I'd say it is a Produced Work.

Does it have to be though? I can't see anything in the ODbL that says Derived Database and Produced Work are mutually exclusive.

A produced work is:
"a work (such as an image, audiovisual material, text, or sounds) resulting from using the whole or a Substantial part of the Contents (via a search or other query) from this Database, a Derivative Database, or this Database as part of a Collective Database."

To me, it would seem that all Derivative Databases would be produced works too, since they are a work resulting from using the Database.

Exactly what that would mean I'm not sure, but 4.5b (creating a Produced Work does not create a Derivative Database) would be a bit confusing if that were the case.