[OSM-legal-talk] Google MapMaker and OSM data...

Eric Jarvies eric at csl.com.mx
Tue Sep 7 18:12:24 BST 2010

On Sep 7, 2010, at 10:02 AM, Richard Weait wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Eric Jarvies <eric at csl.com.mx> wrote:
>> Well, by nature of the edit I made to that way/coastline, I am 99.9% certain it's OSM data being rendered over at the Google MapMaker site.  I looked on their license page and did not find mention of OSM, but perhaps I missed it.  If you all concur that I should share this information on this list, then I will... I will provide you with the way number, and whomever has the experience going back to a previous version/changeset, will need to do so, in order to match the OSM rendering with what is currently being rendered over at Google MapMaker.
>
> You might send the way number to Grant and Emilie, or normally to the
> Data Working Group data at osmfoundation.org, just so you can have a few
> people check your work.  Another set of eyes can be helpful.

Ok, thank you.

> Also, as more data sets are opening up it is possible that Map Maker
> and OSM editors are using similar sources.

Yes, I understand this and the context you are explaining it in.  But how does this apply to the edit I made to the OSM data?  This edit was not some recently made available source that was provided to OSM, Google, and others, it was a just a newbee screw up by yours truly, that resulted in a very unique and deliberate edit to an existing OSM coastline, that subsequently ended up in Google's data, as is clearly(to me) being rendered now.  I was just shocked to see that Google had inherited my screwed up edit of an existing OSM coastline, and that shock turned into interest, which is why I asked here if they are now using OSM data.  In short, there really is no other 'similar source' in this case... they either got the coastline/way directly from OSM, or got it from someone else who got it directly from OSM.

Eric