[OSM-legal-talk] OS Opendata & the new license

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Fri Sep 17 17:03:02 BST 2010

On 09/17/2010 03:45 PM, David Groom wrote:

> In what way are you suggesting OSMF would breach the CT's? I've
> certainly never suggested they would do such a thing.

You have said that CT 3 allows the data to be published without
attribution in the future. I am saying that doing so would break CT 4.

> By agreeing to the CT's you "legally" agree to do certain things. One of
> those is that data you add will not infringe any third parties rights.
> Where data you are submitting is based on CC-BY-SA type data, one of
> those "rights" is that there will be attribution on the data. However,
> as the CT's allow in the future "any free and open licence" to be
> chosen, then legally you would be in breach of the CT's by adding
> CC-BY-SA data, because you cant guarantee the attribution requirement
> which is required under CC-BY-SA.

Oh I see. I'm talking about the Ordnance Survey's BY-compatible licence
rather than BY-SA but attribution inheritance is the issue, yes.

> I thought you were saying that you think that it is OK to do add such
> data, on the assumption that OSMF would remove data in the future.

I'm saying that, assuming it's OK to add such data, the CTs don't say
"and later an evil OSM(F) can strip attribution from such data". CT4
says that attribution is a condition for *OSM*. If OSM wished to move to
a non-attribution licence then attribution-required data could be
removed, but it could not stripped of its attribution.

- Rob.