[OSM-legal-talk] Can someone summarise arguments for/against clause 2 of CTs?

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Thu Sep 23 14:52:41 BST 2010

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Rob Myers <rob at robmyers.org> wrote:
> On 09/23/2010 01:52 PM, Anthony wrote:

>>> OSM(F) needs to be able to place contributions under BY-SA now and later
>>> under the ODbL.
>>
>> Why do they need to do this?
>
> So that the data(base) can be switched to ODbL.
>
>> Specifically, why can't the contributors
>> do this themselves?
>
> They are agreeing to the change.

Your explanation makes no sense.

My question is why do the contributors have to allow OSMF to license
their contributions under BY-SA and ODbL (and DbCL, don't forget about
DbCL).  Why can't the contributors do that themselves?

Yes, the contributors (at least, some of them) are agreeing to the
change.  But why is the change need to be implemented the way it is
being implemented).

>>> OSM(F) may also need to relicence the data again in future, as Clause 3
>>> indicates. Clause 2 makes this possible.
>>
>> I understand that explanation.  But not the other one.
>
> From the point of view of two or five years ago, this is the future.

Clause 3 allows OSMF to relicense the data in the future without
getting permission in the future.  To the extent "this is the future",
that doesn't apply, because you are trying to get permission *now* for
relicensing *now*.