[OSM-legal-talk] OS Opendata & the new license

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Fri Sep 24 10:36:35 BST 2010

Dave F. <davefox at ...> writes:

>OS Opendata compatibility with the new proposed license & Contribution
>Terms as they're worded *at this moment*.

The current contributor terms for new accounts require you grant a licence to
the OSMF to do 'any act that is restricted by copyright', subject to section 3
which says that OSMF will distribute under CC-BY-SA, ODbL/DbCL, or 'another free
and open licence'.  Since you are not the copyright holder for the OS OpenData
content, I don't believe you can grant such a licence to the OSMF.

If you interpret the text more loosely and don't require that you grant a licence
as it says, but instead that you make sure the OSMF has the necessary permission
one way or another, then they still aren't quite right, because the permission
given by the Ordnance Survey doesn't really allow 'any free and open licence'.

That's my understanding of the language in the current terms and conditions,
but I would welcome any corrections.  However, where ambiguity exists, it might
be wise to take the more conservative interpretation.

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>