[OSM-legal-talk] OS Opendata & the new license

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Fri Sep 24 12:24:10 BST 2010

Grant Slater <openstreetmap at ...> writes:

>Ordnance Survey's OpenData license specifically allows sub-licensing,
>restricted by the need for attribution. There isn't a conflict with
>the 'free and open licence' when section 4 (attribution) is taken into
>account.

I don't think this is quite enough: although OSMF agrees to attribute you or
the copyright holder, what matters isn't what OSMF does, but what everyone does.
It appears that you grant the OSMF the right to distribute under any licence
which can be classed as 'free and open', which wouldn't include an attribution
requirement.  I don't believe that we have the ability to grant that right to
the OSMF for the Ordnance Survey data.

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>