[OSM-legal-talk] OS Opendata & the new license

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Tue Sep 28 12:23:50 BST 2010

On 09/28/2010 12:03 PM, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> I firmly believe that collecting third-party geodata into an user
> editable pool is NOT the main purpose of OSM, and even detracts us.

And the ODbL allows produced works that include BY-SA/BY data. OSM could
use this fact itself to keep producing BY-SA maps including
institutional datasets that haven't yet been relicenced.

Over time, either institutions will relicence or they'll stick with
unsuitable licences. In either case, people can still use their data
with an ODbL OSM.

- Rob.