[OSM-legal-talk] OS Opendata & the new license

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 19:45:04 BST 2010

On 29 September 2010 03:35, Niklas Cholmkvist <towardsoss at gmail.com> wrote:
> John Smith wrote:
>> I really wish someone would have the backbone to fess up and say OSM
>> will now go in this direction, or OSM is going in that direction,
>
> I find that the above quoted text states that it would be better if
> someone takes a decision for us, so we don't lose time discussing. Did I
> interpret your statement correctly?

Pretty much, there is a distinct lack of direction presently, we keep
getting told that it's not to limit future users, but without
sufficiently strong direction the licensing debacle will just keep
going on indefinitely. Even the time table outlined in the past isn't
even being kept to.

>> because frankly the indecisiveness is turning existing and potential
>> contributors away.
>
> I'm just waiting for someone to announce a CC0 map so I can leave this
> 'license madness'. Was never sure if copyleft was the right way to go
> for data.

I'm in the same boat, but I want copyleft, I'm not sure if the USGS is
doing a public CC0 map or not...