[OSM-legal-talk] OS Opendata & the new license

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Tue Sep 28 21:36:30 BST 2010

On 09/28/2010 08:47 PM, Dave F. wrote:

> They went to the OS & demanded they release their data.When they did,
> OSMF almost immediately turn back to them & say "oh we don't want it
> now".That's what I'm finding hard to conceive.

A number of projects asked the OS to free their data (including OSM, OKF
and Free Our Data).

I'm in the UK and I was over the moon when the OS freed their data. But
OSM needs to do the right thing with its own data internationally.

Given that OSM is going to be relicencing, if the OS's licence isn't
CT-compatible then the options are for the OS to relicence their data or
for that data to be excluded from OSM's database.

If the OS ODL isn't CT compatible, and if the OS won't relicence, this
doesn't prevent people from creating Produced Works under BY(-SA) that
include OS and OSM data.

This is about having an effective global licence, not about whether any
local institutional data sources are compatible. I'm unconvinced that
the OS ODL is compatible with OSM's *current* licence...

- Rob.