[OSM-legal-talk] OS Opendata & the new license

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 15:19:49 BST 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> In my opinion, the license must be chosen according to what's best for the
> project in the long term; short term considerations should not apply.
>
> Admissible reasons for not using <license> would be, for example,

... that <license> doesn't work ...

ODbL has been extensively tested in the courts over many years, how can you
possibly say that it doesn't work?

> ... isn't enforcable ...

OSMF has massive legal resources and an excellent track record of
relentlessly pursuing and enforcing copyright violations, of course ODbL is
enforceable.

> ... leaves too much doubt ...

Legal counsel has advised that ODbL only uses well established and
universally understood legal principles.  It is clear and easy to understand
and contains nothing that is controversial.

> ... runs the risk of sidelining OSM in the long run ...

Everyone is using ODbL, this is mainstream, there's no chance that ODbL
would sideline OSM.