[OSM-legal-talk] OS Opendata & the new license

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 15:33:09 BST 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 2:47 PM, David Groom <reviews at pacific-rim.net>wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Grant Slater" <
>> openstreetmap at firefishy.com>

It would also help if members of the LWG were a little more forthcoming in
their communications.  Here's what Grant was really trying to say:

*OS StreetView Compatibility*

> The state of play is as follows:
>
> 1) We understand that our legal counsel feels that our CT/OBbL terms ARE
> compatible with OS license terms. However, we have not looked or discussed
> the reasons WHY, and need to understand that better.
>
> 2) There has been discussed on legal-talk from an individual who has been
> in direct email correspondance with OS and indicates that they feel our
> CT/ODbL terms are NOT compatible. We need to understand this better.
>
> 3) Mike has been in discussion with an OSM sympathiser who suggests that
> best approach is long-term political lobbying over the heads of the OS.

In other words there's some lawyer somewhere who *feels* that it's ok but he
hasn't gotten around to telling anyone why he thinks that's the case and
there's at least one other interested party who holds a different view.
That's a long way from "OS OpenData _is_ compatible".