[OSM-legal-talk] Usage of ODbL

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Sep 29 21:34:09 BST 2010

Hi,

80n wrote:
> I doubt data from either of these sources would be compatible with OSM's
> implementation of ODbL.

I don't think that it was Emilie's intent to point out that there is
data "compatible" with OSM's implementation of ODbL (any PD data source
would be - hardly news!). In fact I'm not even sure if these databases
would contain anything of interest to OSM.

This is about the ODbL being adopted by others, thus showing that it is
not just OSM who believe that it is good.

The changes that the dataplace people made to 4.2 and 4.3 seem to have
been intended to clarify how they'd like their attribution to be; I
agree that this seems to be some kind of misunderstanding on their part,
as they should just have given that as a separate copyright notice which
would then have required everyone to keep it intact as per 4.2c, rather
than including it verbatim in 4.2b.

Bye
Frederik