[OSM-legal-talk] Compliance timeline

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Apr 8 16:41:10 BST 2011

Hi,

On 04/08/2011 05:05 PM, Ed Avis wrote:
>> I.e. even if we were planning to switch to CC-BY-SA 4, the Contributor
>> Terms would still make a lot of sense.
>
> Well, in that particular case, the automatic forward compatibility of CC-BY-SA
> would take care of it.

I was trying to say that even if we had that forward compatibility, we
would still be better off with proper contributor terms.

For example, we have this situation now where we say "if you make a web
application and display your layer in a separatable fashion over an OSM
layer, this is not a derived work, but a collective work". Most of us
agree that this is how we want to handle it, but there is nothing
written in the license that says so, and even if all but one contributor
agree on this, that one contributor could sue whoever does what I
described for breach of license.

The contributor terms create a situation where OSMF can actually make a
reliable statement expressing the community interpretation of certain
points of the license, rather than the current "well most people say
this is so but of course we cannot guarantee anything".

This is a good thing because it removes obstacles to using OSM data, and
should be pursued in any case, even if we chose to ultimately wait for
CC-BY-SA 4. Of course introducing contributor terms would always mean we
have to go through the process we're currently going through, so the
automatic forward compatibility of CC-BY-SA wouldn't help us in terms of
having to ask everybody, risk data loss, and so on.