[OSM-legal-talk] Compliance timeline

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Fri Apr 8 17:19:21 BST 2011

Am 08.04.2011 17:05, schrieb Ed Avis:
> Frederik Ramm<frederik at ...>  writes:
>
>> I.e. even if we were planning to switch to CC-BY-SA 4, the Contributor
>> Terms would still make a lot of sense.
> Well, in that particular case, the automatic forward compatibility of CC-BY-SA
> would take care of it.

Actually it wouldn't.

The OSMF has a binding contract with a large number of mappers,
representing a substantial part (actually the majority) of the OSM data,
that specifies CC-by-SA 2.0, ODbL 1.0 and DbCL 1.0 or a vote on a new
license. As I understand it, the automatic upgrade clause in CC-by-SA
2.0 would only be effective for a licensee (that received the data under
2.0) that wants to distribute the data under a higher version.

Since the pre-CT terms can at least be read differently than the current
OSMF interpretation, it is a least open to dispute if the same wouldn't
apply for mappers data that haven't relicensed yet

IANAL

Simon

PS: in an hour or so, we will be over 10'000 explicit acceptances of the CTs