[OSM-legal-talk] Questions about CTs 1.2.4

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Apr 14 12:00:51 BST 2011

Hi,

On 04/14/2011 09:54 AM, Robert Whittaker (OSM) wrote:
> If I'm reading what Francis has written correctly, this would seem to
> be a very real problem with CT 2.2.4, which would prevent us using
> almost any source which wasn't PD or for which the contributor didn't
> own the copyright. In particular, Francis is saying that we can't make
> use of CC-By or ODbL sources because of clause 2.

At least CC-BY says very clearly that "you may not sublicense the data"
which rules out any compatibility even if attribution were guaranteed.
In our scenario, OSMF is the one publishing something under ODbL (must
be - because your own contribution is likely not to be a database), so
OSMF is the licensor, and if you have third-party data that "cannot be
sublicensed" then this is a no-go IMHO.

One that cannot be fixed by any tweaking of the CT.