[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap License Change Phase 3 begins Sunday

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Apr 15 19:35:36 BST 2011

Hi,

(Thread moved over from talk)

On 04/15/2011 05:55 PM, Kai Krueger wrote:
> In addition, it is imho not clear that not some of the many imports listed
> as "Attribution" licensed wouldn't fall into this category, too (rather than
> in category 3 as CC-BY).

To be clear, my "category 3" was meant for *everything* that would be
theoretically compatible but lacks the authorisation to sublicense. The
"category 4" introduced by David Groom was a hypothetical category that
did have the sublicensing option but was somehow otherwise incompatible
with the CT.

> So we are back to
> nothing is compatible with the CTs other than a PD (like) license?

The Ordnance Survey Open Data License, for example, explicitly permits
sublicensing so that one would be ok. Also, NearMap imagery could easily
be made compatible if NearMap were to say "yeah fine, everyone has the
right to allow OSMF to sublicence under CC-BY-SA or ODbL".

The change in the CT means that in the early versions, you had to vouch
for the data you contribute being compatible with any future license
change. This isn't the case any more, you only have to say that it is
compatible with the current license and that you have the right to
authorize OSMF to distribute the data under that license.

This last sentence, when read strictly, rules out the import of plain
"CC-BY-SA or ODbL" data sets without the sublicensing option.